Abeokuta Sports Club which started as a meeting point for relaxation for members of the West African Command Headquarters, was founded in 1904. The current location in Ibara GRA was leased to the club on March 23, 1932 and was reputed to be actively engaged in several sport such as golf, shooting, cricket, football, motor car racing, tennis, billiards and snooker during the time. The club was also used for cinema as it had its own cinematography projector and screen. Films were loaned from the Nigerian Motion Pictures Ltd., the American motion Picture Ltd., the British Council and the United States Information Service to show to members.
White men dominated the leadership of the club at onset. Among the past presidents were Mr. Bill Burrows, Captain B. W. Macphenson, Mr. D.W. Farlene, M.E. Clubs, Mr.Frederick Bradford Adams, Captain Cecil Burleigh Wolfe and Captain Henry Mason. The first African president of the club was the late Dr. A. Okuboyejo.