The land for the Golf Course was acquired in 1928 for a term of thirty years. At the end of the lease term, the right of re-entry was exercised in 1959 by the Government of Eastern Nigeria which wanted to convert the “waste land” used for Golf Course into a residential Layout. The then Mayor of Port Harcourt, Honourable Justice Ambrose Allagoa, prevailed on the Eastern Nigeria Ministry of Lands and Town Planning and the bulk of the land was left for sporting while fringes of the course were used for housing.
On October 11 1959, Honourable Justice Ambrose Allagoa took a drive off the first Hole (Hole13 Doc Elberts) to mark the opening of the first hole of the Golf Section of the Port Harcourt Club. The Golf ball used in that tee off, a Dunlop 65/7 is preserved as a historical item.
The present Main Club Building served as the “nineteenth hole” for golfers. The number one tee box was Hole 7 before 1959.
In 1971, the club named “Allagoa Hole” after the man who helped save the course, (Honourable Justice Ambrose Allagoa) in appreciation. The present Golf Section Club house was rebuilt in 1971.