At its founding in 1959, early members of the Metropolitan Club were also members of some existing Clubs such as the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, The Ikoyi Club 1938 and the Yoruba Tennis Club.
The founding fathers were gentlemen some of whom had spent their formative years in the United Kingdom and had attended very good public schools and higher institutions, with apparent exposure to the British culture. This common interest brought together the elite Gentlemen to form what is known as The Metropolitan Club. The Chief Promoter of this initiative was the late Sir Adetokunbo Ademola who ensured that his colleagues and friends both Black and White were founders of the Club.Some of them were Late Dr. (Chief) M. Koye Majekodunmi CON, CFR; Late Sir Leonard Daldry; Late Mr. Rotimi Williams, SAN QC; Late Chief H. O. Davies QC; Late Sir Kofo Abayomi; Late Dr. O. B. Alakija; Late Chief Joe Harold; Late Sir S.L.A Manuwa; Late Dr. C. Dupe Norman Williams; Late Hon. Justice Atanda Fatayi-Williams; Late Sir. Mobolaji Bank-Anthony; Late Chief S.L. Edu; Late Chief A. G. Leventis; Late Mr. Mandilas; Late Justice G. B. A. Coker; Late Sir Louis Mbanefo; Mr. Akintola Williams, OFR CFR CBE; Late Hon. Justice Charles Daddy Onyama; Late Chief Okwosa; Late Mr. E.C. Judd; Late Mr. Robert Flemming; Late Hon. Justice Idowu Taylor and Late Chief Ayo Rosiji.
When the number of its members increased shortly after its founding, the club’s premises at Igbosere Road in Lagos became too small to accommodate them. With the assistance of the late Prime Minister, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa who was the club’s first Patron, a new parcel of land on Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island was allotted.