The Club’s first General Committee held their inaugural meeting in April 1961 and the main Club building was opened on 29th January 1962. Since its inception, the Club has remained true to its original values. To this day membership of the Hong Kong Country Club remains truly cosmopolitan in character.
Before the Second World War to well into the 1960’s, membership of many Hong Kong social clubs was restricted to a particular racial or ethnic group. Against this backdrop, a group of Hong Kong residents began to formulate the idea of creating a social and family club with good amenities where residents of all nationalities and races could meet socially without fear of discrimination. Although many people played pivotal roles in the founding of the Club, the principal advocate of this group was Mr. J. R. Jones, a legal adviser to the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation who worked tirelessly from as early as 1947 to bring this idea to fruition.