The Singapore Island Country Club story – also the dawn of golf in Singapore – began on 17 June 1891. A special match was arranged to celebrate the birth of The Golf Club, graced by the presence of Governor Sir Cecil Clementi-Smith and his wife. Sir John Tankerville Goldney, the man responsible for forming the club, had the privilege of driving off the first ball in the opening game.
Mounting interest in golf began to accelerate, mainly among the British as they were the ones who were allowed to join the Golf Club. The ladies, who were not allowed to join as members, took full advantage of golf on Tuesdays, the only day in the week that they were allowed to play. With increasing enthusiasm and excellent reception from the golfing community, a $3,000 clubhouse was built and opened for golfers on 27 January 1894.
The Island Club marked a significant moment thereafter, becoming the first multi-racial club in Singapore, and secondly, transcending beyond golf. It sought to include members who were interested in other sporting activities.