A presentation by President of Business Club Ikeja, Chief Tajudeen Akande, FCA
- Nation-building is the process whereby a society of people with diverse origins, histories, languages, cultures and religions come together within the boundaries of a sovereign state with a unified constitutional and legal dispensation to achieve political stability and economic viability in the long run.
- The aim is to “bring about fundamental societal transformations.” Example: the reconstruction efforts of Japan and Germany after WW2.
What are the things that make a Country great?
- Visionary leadership
- The people – Patriotic, Diligent, Honest and Selfless
- Quality of Life: a good job market, security of life and property, food security, equitable income distribution, safe, well-developed public education system, well-developed public health system
- Political stability
- Economic stability
- Strong and efficient Military
- Reliable public institutions
NIGERIA: WHERE WE ARE VS. WHERE WE WANT TO BE
- Lack of visionary, effective leaders
- Weak Institutions
- Weak Economy
- High level of poverty
- Poor education system
- Poor health system
- Unreliable legal system
- Controversial Constitution
- Poorly equipped, unmotivated Army
- High level of Insecurity
- Strong effective leadership 9 Cs – CURIOSITY, CREATIVE, COMMUNICATE, CHARACTER, COURAGE, CONVICTION, CHARISMA, COMPETENT & COMMON SENSE
- Strong political & legal institutions
- Strong economy
- Safe and affordable health system
- Good and affordable education system
- Strong, motivated Military
- Security of life and property
- 1 st among equal on the Africa continent
- Happy and contented citizens
PROMOTING NATION BUILDING
What do we need to do to build Nigeria of our dream?
- Values – fostering constitutional & cultural values.
- Equity & Fairness – equal opportunities, inclusion and redress.
- Cohesion/ Belonging – Community, Diversity and Inclusion • Diversity is getting invited to the party; Inclusion is being asked to dance” • promoting social cohesion across society through increased interaction across race and class.
- Leadership – due diligence in electing/ appointing our leaders.
- Responsible citizens – promoting active citizens… each citizen has to fulfil various duties like • paying taxes, • exercise right of vote, • discourage corruption • follow the rules and regulations – Law & Order!