Lagos Country Club was founded on August 3 1949. The original site of the Club was the hanger of the Royal Air Force by the West African Airways Corporation (WAAC) owned by Anglophone West African Countries of Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone and the Gambia. Upon independence of Nigeria in October 1960, WAAC was changed to Nigeria Airways. The Club was to soon move from its original site to a second site sharing its boundaries with the Grange School and John Holt Supermarket at the Air Traffic Section Wing of the Murtala Mohammed Airport. The Club however moved to its present site covering over 5 acres on May 18, 1963.
The first Chairman of the Club was Mr. R. Simpson (a Briton) while the first Nigerian was a Medical Doctor, Dr. Williams. As at 1951, the membership strength of the Club was a modest range of between 75 and 100. With Snooker Billiards and Darts in the early 60s, the club has grown into 10 sporting sections today.