The Lagos Polo Club was established in 1904. It was introduced by British Naval Officers and was played on an airstrip that was shared between the Lagos Polo Club and the Ikoyi Club. It was most probably made up of a playing field and temporary movable tents and the horses were most probably stabled in the barracks.
In 1914, Kaiser Wilhelm II, King of Germany presented a sterling silver Cup (now known as the Independence Cup) for a championship between Nigeria and the German Cameroon’s.
The Lagos Polo Club developed rapidly over the next 30 years in line with the city of Lagos. The members and players who were mostly British naval officers, changed to expatriates and Nigerian civil servants and senior citizens.
The club was basically made up of the playing field, the club house and temporary stables. Other cups were played for alongside the Kaiser Wilhelm Cup, until the year 1962 when Dr. Majekodunmi a member since 1949, donated the now famous Majekodunmi Cup to be competed for by the highest handicap players at club tournaments. Then in 1949 December 20th saw the club complete its first major redevelopment with the opening of the new club house, which was commemorated by then President of Nigeria Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. This major refurbishment saw the Lagos Polo Club become one of the premier clubs in Nigeria.
The seat of power had moved to Dodan Barracks with the charismatic Head of State General Yakubu Gowon spending his spare time on the field playing polo and in the club house. This attracted the who is who in Lagos and Nigeria converging on the club.
Lagos Polo Club has attracted world personalities including HRH Prince Charles, Alphonso Pieres, Gonzalo Pieres, Alan Kent and The Hipwood brothers Alan and Julian.